- When did the word "piss" become not a bad word!?! I missed the memo on that one. Everyone is saying it lately...and it makes me cringe a little. In my head...still a bad word. I've even tried being cool about it...after all, I know language changes over time. I'm guilty of using the word "crap" which I'm pretty sure used to be less than kosher to say. Still, I'm gonna admit, I can't get used to it. In this house: Still a bad word.
- Last day of school. Hip Hip Hooray!
- Have to go to Wal Mart...boo.
- My friend Sarah introduced me to the songs below. I can't even tell you how much I love them! Peppy little tunes, I tell you.
- I love Fridays.
- I haven't had coffee yet...need to go make some...please excuse me...
Friday, May 29, 2009
Thursday, May 28, 2009
- about 6:00 every night...I'm done.
- a bossy almost four year old...I'm done.
- a six year old that is using words he shouldn't...I'm done.
- little boys that do not listen when I speak...I'm done.
- the routine of school, bedtime, homework...I'm done.
- rain and cloudiness...I'm done.
- a house and vehicle that no matter how hard I try, just do not stay clean...I'm done.
- brothers whining and fighting...I'm done.
- Podcasts by Matt Chandler, Pastor of The Village Church. It's free to subscribe to at itunes. They make me laugh, cry, and have brought me to my knees in repentance. Good stuff.
- Latest favorite song...which I didn't really like at first, and now love. Go figure.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Last year we spent the day picking through what little remained of our friends home. I remember feeling like I was in the middle of a bad dream... that surely I'd wake up any moment and find everything back to the way it should be. Instead, I woke up to this.
This is our friends house today. They moved back in a week ago. It's beautiful and even better than before! I took this picture from here:
This is the cemetery that was leveled during the tornado (Ben is in the suit:) Headstones were knocked over and all the big pine trees...gone. Since last year, new trees have been planted and the cemetery restored. It was an experience I can't put into words...standing there this year, remembering those who've given their lives for our country, so that I have the freedoms that I enjoy, and at the same time take for granted...I am so thankful for their sacrifice and for the country that God has placed my family.
He is so faithful. Tiny town is being restored. Despite a tornado and massive flooding, this little town, that many view as insignificant is moving forward...growing stronger. Because God views it as significant. The lives of the people here are significant to Him. I am thankful for a God that doesn't need the high and mighty, but shows Himself powerful through the seemingly insignificant.
It's interesting how after we've talked about life-devastating events for so long we can talk about them with little emotional reaction. I see it all the time. People mention, in passing, circumstances that at the time rocked them to the core...disasters, loss of loved ones, betrayal, sickness.
During the trauma we can barely think of it without the pain overwhelming us. But as time goes on, and healing begins, we begin to talk about it as though we're now removed from it a little bit. Yet, when we allow ourselves to really go back there...really remember it, the emotions tend to come back.
Yesterday was a day to remember. And the emotions came back...but now, instead of just hurt and loss, there is hope and progress and healing.
Sometimes, we need to be completely weakened in order to become stronger. It's not how we like it to be done...but often it's true.
Today we are stronger.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
This sweet little guy belongs to Ben's youngest brother, Ethan and his wife Megan. I spent most of the day reminding Jake of this...he keeps asking if Megan and Ethan will give Jack to us. The phrase "FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME THEY ARE NOT GOING TO GIVE US BABY JACK" seemed to fall on deaf ears. Of course, someday when that sweet precious baby is almost four years old and asks them the SAME question over and over and OVER they may just send him our way ;)
Jack got to meet his cousins through the safety of the glass nursery window. Smart move.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
Friday, May 15, 2009
- I read several different blog posts this week (and if I could remember where they were I'd link to them) with the theme "It's not about me" and they hit home...hard.
- I watched American Idol this week. I didn't even know who Kris Allen was...until his 2nd song called Heartless that he did with acoustic guitar, AMAZING! I downloaded it from itunes...but it's the studio version and not as good as the live one...c'mon AI get your act together and get the live version on there!
- Ran 5 miles last night and felt pretty good. Saturday morning is seven. I'm kinda looking forward to it, who woulda thought?!?!
- Eight years ago today I was about 24 hours out from giving birth for the first time. I'm thankful that I didn't know ahead of time what that birth story was gonna look like :) I stopped today though and thought...if I could give birth naturally to my first born who was almost 10 pounds I can MOST CERTAINLY run 13.1 miles...good grief! ;)
- My sister-in-law Megan's due date is TODAY! No baby yet though...Noah's praying it comes tomorrow on his birthday...and that it's a boy, but he doesn't want it to be bigger than him, because everythings a competition to a boy. I assured him aunt Megan doesn't want it bigger than him either. Can't wait to get that call!
- Working on the last chapter of the Beth Moore study Living Beyond Yourself...it's on self-control. I've been waiting for this one. Anticipating and dreading all at the same time. Need me some of that self-control.
- I've eaten an ungodly amount of sugar this week. I'd list it out for you, but you'd likely gag and gain 5 pounds simultaneously...just from reading it. It's that bad. I've also been in a pretty wretchedly crabby mood most of the week...I think the two may be related. Time to cut back on the stuff...I'll replace it with more caffeine ;) Kidding...a little.
- Go here to see Julie in her cute native Norwegian outfit that they wear on their national day. Eleven weeks and she'll be here! 77 days...or something like that. I hope she's ready for life in the parsonage ;)
- Happy Weekend Folks! (because we say that sorta thing 'round here :)
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
- Check to see if there's any new emails from Julie...they're my favorite.
- Check to see if there's any new comments on my current post
- New posts by bloggy friends
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
- Sometimes it's gonna hurt more than others. I need to push through it and stop repeating the process of quitting when it just gets too tough.
- It's not just about running. It's about discipline. It's about sacrifice. It's about commitment. It's about finishing the goal that He has set before me.
- It's about allowing Him to complete a work in me that seems nearly impossible.
- He has given me a body that is capable of running...it is a gift.
- I am not allowed to quit on this one.
- it doesn't matter if I like it all the time.
Monday, May 11, 2009
Billie and I post race...she refuels with water...I refuel with coffee.
Does it look like I'm holding them there, making them stand by me? Because I totally am.
(note to self: next time you wear that dress, stick a belt over it in order to NOT look 6 months pregnant...sheeesh.)
Mom, Brother Ryan, and me...hugging...which is funny, because I'm not really a hugger...I'll save that for another post...
Hope you all had a fantastic weekend...I'm off to launder now ;)
PS - I'm really REALLY resisting the urge to let you know that brother Ryan is single and 23 and one of the greatest young guys you'll ever meet...although he does ride a motorcycle that goes too fast and causes me to worry for his safety. Did I mention he fixes my computer when it's slow too?!?
Sure glad I resisted...
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
- The Pastor's wife who is wise, soft spoken, experienced, well spoken, all around not going to say something crazy, well known by other churches because she faithfully attends all local, regional and state meetings. Her resume is good.
- The Pastor's wife who, although very sweet, is a tad unpredictable. She hides out from many of the "meetings" hoping to forever remain the "new girl" that no one in the association knows by name. Her resume is a little "iffy" ...and she sometimes finds things funny that are not meant to be funny ;)
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
No big deal.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Friday, May 1, 2009
I stole this from Amy Beth.
When blogging, if I have to stare at the screen for more than 2 minutes before something comes to me, then I give up. I'm not even exaggerating.
Here's me, giving up: :)
1. First thing you wash in the shower?
2. What color is your favorite hoodie?
A Navy one from J Crew that I adore.
3. Would you kiss the last person you kissed again?
Everyday until I die...which I'm dieing before him, I've already called "dibbs" on it.
4. Do you plan outfits?
Only for special occasions.
5. How are you feeling RIGHT now?
6. What’s the closest thing to you that’s red?
7. Tell me about the last dream you remember having?
As if I could remember...
8. Did you meet anybody new today?
No, haven't even left the house yet.
9. What are you craving right now?
The left over burrito in the fridge...and some Sonic pop.
10. Do you floss?
Pffff. Even after the terrible video the dentist forced me to watch on gum disease...no. Except for a few days before my check up...I'm sure they're completely fooled by me. *cough*
11. What comes to mind when I say cabbage?
Patch. Lillith Willa, she was my first cabbage patch doll.
12. Are you emotional?
Yes, but I hold it in a lot.
13. Have you ever counted to 1,000?
I think so.
14. Do you bite into your ice cream or just lick it?
15. Do you like your hair?
16. Do you like yourself?
I do. I might like myself too much.
17. Would you go out to eat with George W. Bush?
Yes...I think he's adorable. Anyone who can make up words and phrases is automatically on my best friend list.
18. What are you listening to right now?
Three year old boys arguing about going to play outside.
19. Are your parents strict?
They were, sometimes. Depended on the issue.
20. Would you go sky diving?
21. Do you like cottage cheese?
I'll eat it occasionally.
22. Have you ever met a celebrity?
I live in Iowa...not likely.
23. Do you rent movies often?
24. Is there anything sparkly in the room you’re in?
Only my personality. *gag*
25. How many countries have you visited?
Mexico and Jamaica.
26. Have you made a prank phone call?
In 5th and 6th grade it entertained us all the time. In the dark ages, before caller id.
27. Ever been on a train?
Nope. Which is sad, don't ya think?
28. Brown or white eggs?
Either, I have no idea what the difference is.
29. Do you have a cell phone?
Yes, I love it.
30. Do you use Chap Stick?
and carmex and lip gloss...love 'em.
31. Do you own a gun?
I'm still debating whether I can handle carrying pepper spray.
32. Can you use chop sticks?
Rebecca from Taiwan tried to teach me. I don't have time for such things...give me a shovel.
33. Who are you going to be with tonight?
Ben and I are going to a date and the boys are going to G&G's house.
34. Are you too forgiving?
No. I tend to be too unforgiving most of the time. Thus the need for God's constant reminder of His endless patience with myself.
35. Ever been in love?
With Ben...since I was 15 years old.
36. What is your best friend(s) doing tomorrow?
One of them is going to be running 6 miles with me.
37. Ever have cream puffs?
38. Last time you cried?
Good Friday when I attempted to watch The Passion.
39. What was the last question you asked?
"Can I go outside?"
40. Favorite time of year?
Summer and fall.
41. Do you have any tattoos?
No, never even contemplated it.
42. Are you sarcastic?
Only to people I know well...then I can't seem to turn it off.
43. Have you ever seen The Butterfly Effect?
I don't even know what that is.
44. Ever walked into a wall?
45. Favorite color?
46. Have you ever slapped someone?
Across the face: no. On the butt: yes
47. Is your hair curly?
48. What was the last CD you bought?
I'm an ipod girl now.
49. Do looks matter?
They do. Which is hard to swallow. Anyone who says differently is lieing.
50. Could you ever forgive a cheater?
I see people forgive them all the time. I'm continually in awe of their ability to do it, because deep down I don't know that I could. But God's grace allows me to do things I never thought I could...praying I never have to find out.
51. Is your phone bill sky high?
Higher than I think it should be.
52. Do you like your life right now?
53. Do you sleep with the TV on?
54. Can you handle the truth?
About other people: yes. About myself: harder to swallow.
55. Do you have good vision?
I wear contacts.
56. Do you hate or dislike more than 3 people?
I don’t hate them, but I do dislike more than three people.
57. How often do you talk on the phone?
Sometimes, it feels like its all I do.
58. The last person you held hands with?
Jakob as we walked across the parking lot.
59. What are you wearing?
a green shirt, ripped jeans and gladiator sandles.
60. What is your favorite animal?
A weiner dog named Odie.
61. Where was your default picture taken at?
62. Can you hula hoop?
63. Do you have a job?
According to Oprah its the hardest one in the world. I disagree with her though...has she not met Jack Bauer?!?
64. What was the most recent thing you bought?
Ground coffee at Starbucks.
65. Have you ever crawled through a window?
Yep. My best friend and I used to crawl out of my bedroom window and sit on the roof of the garage...until my mom found us.
This took FOREVER. Shoulda stuck with my trusty bullet points...