Wednesday, October 26, 2011

White Slip Covers

 
Day 25and 26 of 31 Days of Happy


White Slip Cover Happy


I like white.  It's not practical, but sometimes...practical is over-rated, or in the very least not cute.


I blame Pinterest for pushing me over the edge into white-slip-cover heaven.



We are terribly hard on furniture.  I have proof...








I came across this blog, and was elated to find out she had a messy family like myself, and STILL loved her white slip covers.  She makes her own covers.  I debated about whether or not I thought I could make my own.  I ended up  deciding that my patience and skill level was not quite adequate to tackle a sofa cover (yet), but I thought I could probably pull off a chair/ottoman one.


After some internet searching I came across the website Ugly Sofa.  They sell high-end slip covers for a deeply discounted price.  Perfect. 


And when the covers came, guess what the tags said?  Pottery Barn.  I may have skipped around my living room for several minutes just from sheer elation.  
They even sent me this little monogrammed (Pottery Barn) makeup bag thingy as a surprise free gift.  Bonus!  



Before:  


After:


This is right out of the package...I am NOT ironing a couch.  For Realz.
Loose-fit cover






I ended up making my own ottoman cover *pat on back* 


And for the wing back chair, I ordered a loose cover, and am planning on making a fitted cover out of that.  But first I'm gonna have to practice with old bedsheets or something.  


The couch cover has been on for a week.  I thought I'd give it some time before I  blogged about it...so I could let you know how it's really going.  It  stayed cleaner than I thought it would.  I did learn that I need to put a blanket over the seat on the weekends though, because the boys go in and out of the house and then sit on it and it was looking a little grubby.


I washed it yesterday for the first time.  Easy peasy to wash, bleach, dry,  and get back on.  It makes me kind of grossed out to think of whats on my couch and never been washed off.  *shudder*  I really do love it.  It's casual, yet clean looking and it just makes me happy.  


I need to get crackin' on the chair slipcover, because the loose fitting one is driving me a little crazy.  I only paid $30 for it, and it is enough material for me to make the fitted cover.  It was far cheaper to go this route than it was to purchase the material at the fabric store.  ( all covers are 100% White Cotton Duck)


I also made some envelope pillow slip covers as well.  Because as you know...makeovers just keep spreading from one thing to the next.  Like the common cold.


I've made some other stuff too...I'm a sewing fool.

6 comments:

  1. looks great - and pinterest - well I am so addicted. Redoing my kitchen and it is all from there.
    Great that you can through those in the machine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously! I want nothing more than white couches! LOVE, love LOVE this!!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a few years now I've been planning to buy the white slip covered couch & love seat from Ikea with an extra slip cover as back up. Our current couch literally sounds like a dying animal when you sit down or stand up. Maybe I need to find an ugly (free?) couch & buy a cheap slip cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I'm kinda jealous too. I've always wanted white slip-covers, but I kinda gave up on my dream. Sorry I skipped out on 31 Days of Happy, but I lost internet connection for about a week and a half. It was a line problem and finally it's fixed. Ya, I'm doing the happy dance now.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have white slipcovers (and four boys) and I love, love, love them (the slipcovers and the boys both)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of my love for white bath towels. I never used them when kids were small, thought it would be crazy! BUT, hotels use white towels and now that I have them, they BLEACH clean so should have gotten them when the boys were little, you know?

    But there is that little boy habit of BARELY getting their dirty hands wet, then wiping them on the towels, thus producing muddy towels!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, you make blogging fun. :) If your comment doesn't appear right away, it's because it's awaiting moderation, but it will show up soon!

Web Hosting Pages