Friday, February 21, 2014

Desperate


 We had a blizzard warning yesterday and lost electricity for awhile last night.  
My kids are home for their up-teenth snow and/or wicked cold day, this year.

And I spent the morning google-ing churches in Georgia that might need a pastor.  

I have no idea why I picked Georgia, annnnd it's not exactly the best way to find a church.  But my heart is desperate to escape the cold winter.  Desperate enough that uprooting my whole family and moving across the country seems legit.

My wiser self would tell you that making life-changing decisions during times of desperation is a really.bad.idea.  

My sick-of-winter self says...so.what.

And as I was google-ing...I couldn't escape a little tune, to a little verse that I learned not long after I was saved.  

This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalm 118:24

Rejoice and be glad.

Meh.

It's the opposite of what my heart wants to do in winter.  It's always the opposite of what my heart wants to do in situations where the misery feels like it will never end.  

And so I choose.  And I have to choose constantly to rely on truth rather than my feelings. To be glad in the day before me.  No matter the weather, my circumstances, or my feelings.  Sometimes I fail miserably at that.  And I google and make plans to become a Southerner.  (My town will resemble Blue Belle like in Hart of Dixie.  Reality much?)

And God gently redirects my ever wandering heart...

I have to choose rejoicing and gladness because if I don't...I end up bringing further misery in the end.

Winter will end.  Winter will end. Say it with me, Winter will end.


4 comments:

  1. Winter will end. Winter will end. Winter will end. Thanks for the smiles! And thanks for coming to your senses. Georgia is NOT where God wants you. Warm states are for wimps. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that churches in TN could always use a new pastor... and I know of a girl who could use a friend and Target shopping buddy. Her initials happen to be ABG. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops.. my message disappeared mid sentence. What was I saying? I don't even remember. Anyway, if I were to choose a warmer climate, I would not go south to humidity. I would go to Oregon or to Arizona or Colorado. I'd have to choose just the right town with the right levels of humidity in the summer (LOW) and the right level of winter (MILD). One can always dream.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, you make blogging fun. :) If your comment doesn't appear right away, it's because it's awaiting moderation, but it will show up soon!

Web Hosting Pages