Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Whiny McWhinerson



I'm in the process of making a list for blog ideas for the next 31 days.  I have four things on it, soooo I'll keep working on that.

If you have any bright ideas, I'd be happy to consider them.  

I've spent a good portion of the day in the book of Jonah.  We are teaching our Bible Clubber's on Jonah for the month of October.  This year we are skipping curriculum in favor of teaching whatever we feel God's leading in regarding the kids we have.  It's cool to see God working.  

I was perusing Pinterest to come up with some extra word search pages and activities.  What I found was just a bunch of crafts about a whale.  And several lessons titled "Jonah Obeyed God."  So I went back and read the story for the 50th time.

I have to say, the point of Jonah is certainly not the whale.  Not by a long shot.  And you have to use a pretty loose term of "obeyed" to describe dear Jonah.  What I DO see, is God's grace on magnificent display in that little book of Jonah.  His grace chased after Jonah.  His grace saved the sailors, physically and spiritually.  His grace in the big fish.  His grace to the Ninevites.  And even his grace to pouty Jonah at the end of the story.  

I'm always annoyed by whiny Jonah.  Probably because I am Jonah.  God gives me *pretty clear* instructions and first chance I get, I dart the opposite direction.  And when He comes after me (which He always does, because: Grace) I like to play the martyr like dear Jonah.  Yet He still saves me.  And yes, there's people I don't want to share the gospel with because I know God is merciful, and yes it's because there are people I don't want Him to be merciful with.  I want justice for them.  And again...He redirects my heart.  Back to the gospel.  Back to mercy and grace and forgiveness that I did not deserve, and certainly didn't earn.  But receive over and over and over again.

But my heart doesn't always automatically go there, to grace.  It very often is automatically a Jonah.  God's grace amazes me.  I can't comprehend it, because it's the exact opposite of my own heart and nature.  

So, long story short:  There will be no whale crafts tonight at our Bible Club ;)


1 comment:

  1. HA! " There will be no whale craft this evening..."
    Right on right on with the Jonah comparison! I got two biblical lessons from watching Veggie Tales with my kids when they were little and before they knew iCarly existed. Ester and Jonah. I'm pretty sure I could bust out some tunes from those videos if I gave myself long enough pause. I will spare you. You're welcome.
    What you said about not wanting to share the gospel with people and not wanting to because you didn't find them "unjustly" OH, you are speaking to my stubborn, sinful heart! God made sure this past year I had only HIM to rely on. That was a HUGE learning experience for me, so now, If He asks me, I pretty much can't sass him at all, not even an eye roll or huff. I've got the feeling something pretty uncomfortable is coming down the pipe, because so far I've got nothing but crickets.
    Also I joined in on the writing thing...we have to come up with new topics? Like everyday? Ugh, not even a day in and this is already WORK!
    Okay, I promise to squeak it out for at least the next day...topics, can we talk about coffee? How we really like it and our favorite bible verse we read while drinking that cup or cups?? No? Well, fine I'll wait for you to post and copy your topic of the day then. See how I am?!
    Let's DO this! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, you make blogging fun. :) If your comment doesn't appear right away, it's because it's awaiting moderation, but it will show up soon!

Web Hosting Pages